Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) - Carrie Ryan So I started reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth at about 10 AM, and after various interruptions and errands and such, finished at about 1AM. I've been wanting to read it for a few months, after noticing the pretty cover in Barnes and Nobles, and reading the oh-so-familiar summary.

I thought "Awesome! Someone took the intriguing premise of The Village, and did it right! And in book form!"

I had no idea when I picked it up that it would be a post7-apocalyptic zombie book, but that was a great surprise. A few pages in and I was like "OMG The Village but with zombies in the forest instead of people dressed like the big bad wolf. EPIC." Now that I'm finished...well, somehow it managed to be a compelling read despite several pretty major flaws. Like:

a) the main character being a selfish, obsessive, often petty, and continually dissatisfied...well, bitch. Ish.
b) her main man spending the majority of the book being about as reliable as a support beam made of tuna
c) lots of questions being introduced in the first half, perhaps 1/3rd of which actually got answered. And then only vaguely and with logic that doesn't really hold any water.
d) serious FRIGGIN meandering. It just went on and on and on and on and on...
e) and maybe this is just me, but a pretty...pretentious writing style. I mean, lady, you're writing a zombie book. This isn't War and Peace.

I'm still not entirely sure whether I liked it or not. I mean, I really, really love the idea. I've yet to see a book/movie (at least, that I can recall atm) that's set so long after the zombie apocalypse has taken place (in this book, it's been about 100 years). I thought it was really interesting to have this kind of isolated world where the zombie problem hasn't been solved, just adapted to...

Read more at You're Killing.Us.

Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues