Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
SPOILER ALERT!
Try Me - Parker Blue These books are beginning to frustrate me. There is so much potential here, and some of the elements Blue introduces in this new installment are really cool. Unfortunately, what could be cool continues to be ruined by what is consistently bad.

For the sake of brevity (and my sanity; honestly I'd just like to get this series over with), we're going to take a page from Gwen's book and do this in bullets.

Cool:

-Lack of Dan - he's in this book very little, and the book and Val are better off for it. He's a jackass.

-The demons - the different powers and characters, while X-Men-generic, still hold that "Ooh, what will this one be able to do?" allure.

-Shade and Shade's power, both of which are too good for this book. He's a sweet, understanding, muy sexy-o boyfriend, and his body is literally a portal that demons from different dimensions could use to enter into our world. The only thing holding them back? Shade and his self-control. This is so much cooler than Val's powers, why isn't this book about him?

-The origins of demons and their half-demon spawn - several generations ago, Shade's evil grandad let a bunch of demons into this dimension to wreak havoc on the world, which Shade feels responsible for (thanks for shouting that out to us, btw, Val, god forbid you let him show it). Anyway, yeah, WHY ISN'T THIS BOOK ABOUT THAT?

-Val and Shade - they're much better together than Val and Dan, and the moments in which Val experienced her first warm-and-fuzzy boyfriend feelings were by far her most relatable.

-Val's slow reconciliation with her mom - it may be clunkily written, but at least Blue's trying, and everything's not insta!forgiven.

Not Cool:

-No progress with any of the problems I had with Bite Me - still no subtlety, people keep loudly announcing how they feel, and the characters continue to firmly reside in the People's Republic of Blandness. Oh and it's still not funny.

-The characters also continue to smugly congratulate each other on each terrible one-liner and quip, which would be annoying even if they were funny, but guess what, THEY'RE NOT, so it's 10x more irritating!

-Blue actually does try to handle Val's one-dimensional-ness, but in the most superficial way possible: her personality room is undecorated! We will correct this with shopping...

Read more at You're Killing.Us.

Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues