Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
Made for Each Other - Paul D. Storrie, Eldon Cowgur I was pleasantly surprised by the first entry in this series, I Love Him to Pieces, which was the rare light and fluffy zombie love story. So despite the change in authors, I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, while being almost precisely the same type of story, Made for Each Other just didn't make the same kind of so-adorable impression as Love Him to Pieces. In fact, it didn't really make any impression at all.

I'm actually kinda at a loss to figure out why Love Him to Pieces worked for me and Made for Each Other didn't. Maybe it's the subject matter? It's easy for me to get into a story about zombies, but a story about a girl who falls in love with Frankenstein's monster's new monster is bound to come with some (less-familiar) absurdities. Maybe it's the characters? The heroine Maria and her love interest, Tom, aren't quite as instantly likable as Dicey and Jack, nor is their relationship as well-explored. And the story, while far more unique than Pieces, just wasn't as interesting to see played out. With Pieces, I was cheerfully along for the ride; here, I was hardly able to see the forest for the plot holes.

But let's start from the beginning: Made for Each Other is indeed the story of a teenaged girl falling in love with a Frankenstein monster. I suppose it was only a matter of time. Anyway, in this case, the monster is Tom, a cute but quiet young man newly transferred to Maria's school in the town of Persephone Falls, Alaska. He and Maria meet and, naturally, fall into insta!love, but Tom is unable to socialize with anyone outside of school due to his obligation to help his father, Franklin Stone, with his work as the local undertaker. One night, Maria makes the mistake of driving down to visit Tom in his home, and accidentally catches a glimpse of his father's lab, in which a new body is being assembled from the corpses of three recently dead cheerleaders. SURPRISE!

Sounds gruesome, right? But Maria takes it remarkably well, as Tom tells her the story behind his father's creation (he's Frankenstein's monster, and ended up frozen in a block of ice for 200 years in Antarctica after the good doctor died), his own (Stone is in fact a brilliant scientist himself, and was able to recreate and finesse his creator's trick of bringing the dead back to life), and their motive for being in Persephone Falls (to get more corpses and make more monsters out of them, of course!).

You can see the cheesy in the back story, which puts the book on about the intellectual level of a Scooby-Doo cartoon, but what really got me was Maria's reaction - she's totes cool with it. All of it. After all, "It's kind of like a transplant", right? And it's "better than people just rotting in the ground". I mean, the new creatures are just like test tube babies! LIKE TOTALLY.

And of course, Tom himself isn't a monster. He's ~dreamy~.

From there, the conflict is driven by Stone's cheerleader amalgamation, Hedy...

Read more at You're Killing.Us.

Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues