Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton I'll admit: about twenty pages into this book, I was ready to dismiss it as annoying, tired YA crap. You can probably tell why from the summary above - "With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out." Oh God, eye roll. Around the same time this description comes about in the book, we learn that, though initially raised in foster care, Ari has lately been taken in by a husband-wife team of bail bondsmen, who have schooled her in the ways of fighting and gun-wielding. In the same breath, we're told she also closely associates herself with the moon, and has a platinum moon necklace and a stars-and-moon tattoo on her cheekbone.

Christ.

Could it be yet another ~*speshul*~ heroine, tough and aloof, who's had a bad life and doesn't trust anyone (and isn't that cool?) with supposedly "freakish" but in fact beautiful traits - both natural and self-inflicted - that ironically ostracize her from the rest society?

Well where have we seen that before? Oh, yeah, only everywhere. I could rattle off ten books that we've reviewed in the past year whose protagonists fit most, if not all, of that description, and if I were to think of books I've read in my lifetime with characters like that, they'd probably number in the hundreds. And I gotta say, I'm really sick of the ~*speshul snowflake*~ protagonist trope...

Read more at You're Killing.Us