Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
Unearthly - Cynthia Hand Hm. Uneartly is one of those books that, despite not officially being released for another two days, is extremely well-liked among YA/PR bloggers, thanks to NetGalley. And I'll be honest, I was prepared to roll my eyes and go "Oh God, another inexplicably popular teenage book that's going to be cheesy or bad or mediocre at best," because, let's face it, angel romance is Not My Thing. But you know, this is one of the few times where that isn't the case.

Don't get me wrong, Unearthly isn't perfect, by any means. It's not one I would give five stars - if, y'know, I gave stars - because some improvements could be made and a few things bothered me, but it's quite a bit better than any of the other YA books I've read in a while. It's certainly one of the better ones about angels.

One of the best parts about Unearthly is the introduction. We're dropped right into the action for once, with a protagonist who actually has a reasonably clear idea of what's going on. She's not quite the Professional yet, but she isn't the Clueless Teenager whose life is about to be irrevocably changed by the Supernatural New Guy, and this is extremely refreshing. Technically, our protagonist Clara is the Supernatural New Guy Girl, the one who has been sent to protect the Clueless Teenager. It's a nice switch, because we don't have to spend half the book waiting to find out that OH MY GOD, the sexy quirky mysterious new person is a __________ (insert paranormal creature here). From the very beginning, the protagonist knows just about as much as we do after reading the flap summary, which helps to speed things along...

Read more at You're Killing.Us