Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
The Radleys - Matt Haig The Radleys is not exactly a paranormal romance. Both the back of the book and the introductory letter (in our ARC) by Free Press Senior Editor Amber Qureshi call it a 'domestic drama', or as Amber says, more of an American Beauty than a Twilight. This is an accurate description (I think - I barely remember American Beauty), and exactly the reason I fell in love with The Radleys by the end of the first chapter.

The writing here is solid. It flows, it's quick, light, and - oh God you have no idea how much of a wonderful relief this is - it's intelligent. There's no pandering, no painfully awkward witty exchanges that are trying too hard (and often failing) to be funny. The dialog is natural, and the characters speak the way normal people speak. In England, anyway. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful it is to read a vampire book with a tone that isn't dumbed down or soaked in angst, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

But again, calling The Radleys a "vampire book" isn't fair. The vampirism here is really incidental. Being a vampire - and all the blood, biting, and changing that go with it - really only serve as a stand-in/allegory for everything from alcohol to the suppression of basic aspects of human nature for the sake of conformity. And it's kind of awesome.

It's not perfect, though...

Read more at You're Killing.Us