Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
SPOILER ALERT!
The Sevenfold Spell - Tia Nevitt So yeah, from the summary, I was, again, expecting something Shrek-ish (the first one, not those terrible, pop-culture-referencing sequels). A fairytale with modern sensibilities. The summary even made me laugh - "something to do with a curse on the princess" indeed. Yeah, that is not what The Sevenfold Spell is. Not really. There are glimpses of it towards the end, and those glimpses are where it gets interesting, but mostly, it's a kind of depressing memoir of a spinster named Talia.

I'm kind of torn about how to feel about Sevenfold Spell. It started out promising enough - we're introduced to a young woman named Talia, as she and her mother sit in the doorway to their shop, attempting to prevent a constable and "good" fairy from confiscating their spinning wheel. The scene has a wonderfully deadpan feel to it - the weary and exasperated constable is resigned to a task he doesn't quite approve of that Talia and her mother are making difficult. The fairy is little but a bureaucratic representative, like a supervisor sent from home office to make sure a layoff goes smoothly. Talia's mother screams and shouts in protest when the constable (easily)removes them, and Talia is mortified. I was highly amused, until I turned to page 2. That's when I learned what the real conflict here would be.

Read more at You're Killing.Us