Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
Bone Crossed  - Patricia Briggs This is the first book where we get the dual-plotline format, presumably because Briggs liked both concepts but couldn't figure out a way to stretch them both out into book length. It's strange to have one plot advertised on the cover, and then have a completely different one make up most of the book, especially when there is nothing tying the two together, except Mercy. It must suck to have two super powerful bad guys plotting against you at the exact same time.

There’s nothing particularly memorable about Bone Crossed. Mercy is done wavering between men and has basically settled into a relationship with Adam. She is done fighting for her independence, and just accepts all the decisions that Adam makes for her where she would have at least argued one or two books ago. Because we’ve seen what happens when Mercy makes decisions for her self. It just really seems that in this book Mercy is broken. This is understandable after having been raped, but we feel that she allows to much of her self to be lost and stops fighting for the normal, uncomplicated life that she wanted to build. Instead she throws herself head first into the werewolf society she’d previously decided against by becoming a member of a pack and the Alpha’s mate.

The manner in which Adam makes Marcy pack is probably our biggest issue with this book, and the best example of Mercy’s transformation. Having taken Stefan’s blood in Blood Bound, Mercy still has a psychic connection to him, and feels his despair upon learning that his flock has been wiped out. This triggers a panic attack in Mercy, while she is with Adam. Adam realizes why she is panicking, and without giving Mercy a choice, performs the ceremony that makes her pack, which breaks the connection to Stefan. He then states, “He can’t have you. Not now. Not ever. I don’t owe him that.”

After calming down, Adam rightly feels that he did wrong, and should be berated for his presumption. But the new, improved Mercy is not angry. Instead, she says this:

“Thank you, Adam [...] Thank you for tearing Tim into small Tim bits. Thank you for forcing me to drink one last cup of fairy bug-juice so i could have use of both of my arms. Thank you for being there, for putting up with me. Thank you for keeping me from being another one of Stefan’s sheep-I’ll take pack over that any day. Thank you for making the tough calls, for giving me time. Thank you for loving me."

WHY THANK YOU ADAM FOR MAKING ALL MY FUCKING DECISIONS FOR ME.

This is how much Mercy has changed. Adam flat-out admits that he made her pack because he didn’t want her to have a connection with someone else (possessive much?). Even Adam realizes that this was overstepping his bounds. But Mercy thanks him. WHAT THE HELL! SHE THANKS HIM. This is another step in the breaking down of Mercy Thompson. Where previously she would have been livid and argued, she has now accepted that her man Adam knows what’s best for her.

It’s worth noting that Mercy’s only real act of independence in this book is to decide who to subjugate herself to, Stefan or the big bad, Blackwood. Girl power...

Read more at You're Killing.Us