Killing Me Slowly

A leopardess who learned how to dance. And read.
Tyger Tyger - Kersten Hamilton Maybe there's some weird spell that's been cast by my computer, but I've been oddly drawn to both books I've been forced to read on the PC, and it's actually kind of nice. What a freakish turnabout it is, to read some good YA literature for a change.

As you might have guessed, Tyger, Tyger is another book we got a digital review copy of, and yes, it was good. Engaging, actually. I read it in two sittings, and in between the two, while I worked, I daydreamed about coming home to finish it. It's that kind of book.

Tyger, Tyger is an adventure book through and through. It sucks you in from page one and proceeds with a break-neck pace and very little ceremony to introduce you to its world and the characters that inhabit it. I probably shouldn't be so amazed by this, but I realize now that Hamilton is a master of 'show, not tell'. The book begins in the middle of an argument between Teagan, our heroine, and an ape, Cindy, at the zoo in which Teagan works, and in this one scene, we get a great feel for Tea's character, values, motivation, and personality, all without being told a bit of it. This is very nice and, I now realize, EXTREMELY RARE...

Read more at You're Killing.Us